Temperature measurement in a Coke Oven
The basis for the production of iron and steel is the coking of coal in a coking oven. For this, the coke oven is filled with coal through the filler holes in the oven roof. The processing of the coal is carried out in the absence of air at temperatures of up to 1300 °C.
Infrared temperature measurement of the air stages and nozzle bricks in a coke oven with special designed portable pyrometer.
The coking oven battery is heated by vertical heating walls which can consist of up to 40 heating flues, located between each oven chamber. Heat is transferred from the walls to the centre of the oven, whereby the coal is converted into coke during the coking process and solidifies away from the oven walls. In order to achieve efficient coking of the coal, an optimal heat distribution must be ensured over the entire heating wall. This is done by adjusting the amount of heat. Any residue and deposits on the heating walls can not only have a negative effect on the quality of the coking process, but can also result in production losses and high costs on a restart. Accurate control of the supply of heat and monitoring of the temperature distribution in the heating walls throughout the whole production process are therefore essential. The relevant temperature measurements are made in the heating walls of the adjacent coke ovens directly from the furnace cover after opening the heating flue ports.
Most coking oven batteries are constructed with 70 ovens and up to 40 heating flues. The temperature recording is carried out alternately as a longitudinal or transverse measurement. During a transverse measurement, several heating walls are usually measured and recorded as series of measurements. In this way, in a transverse measurement 14 heating walls can be measured in 3 stages (14*120 values). Alternatively, free measurements of up to 140 measurement values per measurement series are possible (14*140 values), from which a total storage of 1,960 measurement values result.
- Simple operation by parameter setting on the rear of the measurement instrument and display of the measurement values in the view finder and on the rear.
- High quality variable focus optics combined with a large view finder enable simple aiming and measurement even with large measurement distances (up to 12 m) and the smallest measurement area dimensions of the corresponding locations in the coke oven through the inspection holes in the oven roof.
- Integrated data memory for up to 2,000 temperature measurements and an interface for transferring the data to a PC in Excel format.
- Housing specifically developed for coking plants, with a robust design including thermal protection sheath for daily use with high ambient temperatures and very dusty atmospheres.
- Fast, time-saving and accurate temperature measurement of the air stages and nozzle bricks in coking oven batteries from the oven roof, without endangering the operational reliability or interrupting operation
- Complete documentation of the monitoring of the coking oven by means of data storage and subsequent evaluation facilities
- Convenient process monitoring and dedicated control of the heat supply throughout the whole oven battery by means of non-contact temperature measurement
- Quality assurance and cost savings through the optimal use of energy and raw materials
Temperature measurement of the air stages and nozzle bricks in a coke oven